Jul 21, 2017

Going to university

Hello again!

Turns out I got into my first choice of university and program. So in about a month I will be moving to Swedens second largest (?) city - Gothenburg, to attend the university of Gothenburg. It's been something I have been looking forward to for so long now and now that it's almost time to start I am starting to feel nervous.

When I came to Japan was the time I did a lot of things for the first time, and I was probably nervous. But at that time atleast I was in a secure position. Everything was taken care of for me, I didn't have to worry! Thanks to the scholarship the plane ticket was taken care of and I had already been guaranteed a dorm room. Also we didn't even have to make our own bank accounts. The school really did everything for us and it was very chill!

But now I am on my own, no one is gonna help me out, give me money, or guarantee that I find an apartment.

The apartment thing I was actually very worried about. In big cities and in cities with popular universities it's very hard to find a place to live. Even where I live, in this shitty little town, the house prices have skyrocketed in the recent years, and if you wanna rent an apartment you most likely have to wait for years before you can find one.

So unlike in Japan where free apartments exist everywhere in abundance, Sweden has a severe lack of them. Even though I had signed up for a waiting list for student apartments almost a year ago, I quickly realised that I should have done it a lot sooner.
I had to give up on finding a student apartment to rent and started looking at private apartments. Most people I found didn't let out the whole apartment, but just a room, and often these rooms were quite pricy. Many were around 4000 sek (54000 yen) for a room in someone elses apartment.
I actually saw "the worst one" today: Someone letting out a part of their livingroom - separated from the livingroom by curtains! Meaning you don't even get your own private space. The monthly rent for this was set to 5000 sek (67.500 yen)! And people were still interested in it... wow.

After sending messages to around 5 people saying I was interested in their rooms I got a bit worried since none of them got back to me. Not until a few days later did one of them call me, and said that he thought I would fit in perfectly in his "student house". It's kinda like a guest house for students, and a total of around 9 students live there. You get your own room and share the rest of the house. The rent is about as cheap as you can get it.

The best part about it is that it is not an apartment but a real house. It has a garden and is close to the beach. It's a bit separated from the city life and a bit far from my school, but other than that it seems perfect and I have high hopes!

So in the end it seems like I did find an "apartment" pretty easily. Though if this person hadn't read my profile and liked it I would probably still be looking for a place, since the other people I sent messages to have yet to respond.

Now I have gotten into uni, and I have a place to live. The only thing left to worry about seems to be the actual studying. And I am worried. We are going to be starting with math and I haven't studied math for like 4 years now!
I am also worried that I wont have time for anything else but school work. When will I get to write, draw, learn languages, play music, if I got all this school work? It's a bit sad to think I might not have time to do all of these things, but I can't let that get me down. I like learning new things and that's why I applied for uni.
This program I applied for seems really interesting, and I want to do a good job. I don't want to fail.

So right now all my browser history is about "how to study effectively in university", haha.

Wish me luck, eh?


2 comments:

  1. You are a nice person that's why good things ccome near to you:) 頑張ってね、応援していますわ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a nice person that's why good things ccome near to you:) 頑張ってね、応援していますわ!

    ReplyDelete