Jan 19, 2018

6 months of university in Sweden

I have now studied 4 courses worth a total of 30 points, and in Sweden you normally study 60 points worth of courses in a given year. Which means I somehow made it through half a year already! That's quite insane, because it really doesn't feel like it.

But this is actually not my first time studying full time at a university (which I had totally forgotten about), because before going to Japan I took 2 Japanese courses at another university, and those courses mounted up to be 30 points and I studied for half a year there too.

So since I've now got 30 university points collected in 2 different fields, I did a little comparison in my head and just found that there is such a huge difference between what fields you study, and the amount of work you have to do.

I got a really good grade in my Japanese courses, and they were really easy! It was a distance course so I never had to leave home, we met with the teacher on group calls online. We also did our groupwork the same way.
It worked fine I guess, but even though I was a full time student, it really didn't feel like it. Most of my days I spent in the house just not doing much, or atleast feeling like I wasn't doing anything.

Those six months I spent on Japanese classes were super chill.
Maybe it was just my particular school and their curriculum that didn't really understand that they could have put more pressure on students, without doing them any harm.

Anyway, these 6 months at the SEM program in Gothenburg have been so different, and so packed with new stuff that there has never been a dull moment. Sure it's been difficult and annyoing and boring some times, but all in all I look back on these 6 months with a smile on my face, and I look forward to more of it.
Which is more than I can say about the 6 months I spend at home, being a full time student but feeling like a total slacker with nothing to do and nothing to contribute.

Don't get me wrong, studying language is awesome! But doing it from home wasn't really my thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment