Feb 4, 2019

Planning a trip to South Korea and Japan, and still struggling to make a decision about my future

Happy (belated) new year! 2018 was a fine year, nothing special, but not bad. Now we are entering 2019 though and hopefully things will get even better!

When I started my 2nd year at the SEM program at university I was sceptical, but it's been better than the first year so that's good. But, I made a promise with myself a long time ago that I would do something fun in Gothenburg every week, like at least once a week go out and do something - anything! And I am saddened to say I didn't really follow through on this promise, but during this new year I've made a new try and it's gone a lot better!

So now I've started to think more about things I want to see and places I want to visit, and I realized that during my 3rd year at SEM I will have about 4 months where I will only be studying "Distance courses" because we can choose to study whatever we want, and this means I wont be bound to school every day like I am now, so I can go travel!

Luckily I've been able to save up some money so that I can afford to visit both Japan and South Korea this September or October. In Japan I think I will just go to Tokyo and explore around there, hopefully I will be able to meet some friends again! Maybe I will go to Osaka but I'm not sure if I will have the time or money, but we will see! Anyway, in South Korea I've already made up my mind a bit more about where I want to go; I want to start in Busan and be there a few days, then check out Daejeon a little and then finally spend a few days in Seoul. I might be traveling alone in Korea though, so we will see how that goes!

It's still around 8 months til the trip so I don't know any specifics about it, I havent even booked flight tickets yet! They are pretty cheap right now but I am looking every day to see if I can find some tickets under 6000SEK!

Okay, so that's the fun stuff, now to what's bothering me:
I've decided what I will work with after I graduate, and to no ones surprise its "Web development"! Doing web development for 2 courses at school now has really reminded me about how much I like it, and even since I was 16 or something I've wanted to make awesome websites. I've already made a list of all the languages I should know/want to know, and I am very excited to learn!

During my time at SEM I've been looking into other fields that might be fun to work in and I ended up not being able to decide on anything until now, and now I feel like I've made up my mind, which is cool but it kind of changes my view about taking a masters degree. I want to take a masters, but there would be seemingly no point if it's unrelated to webdevelopment, and it's pretty hard to find one that is related. If I do find a really appealing masters degree I might just go for it even if it's not related, but I am not sure where I would be able to find that...

So right now I am in this limbo where I don't know if I should go for a masters, but at the same time I am still sickened by the thought of having to spend 5 days a week of my life dedicated to some job! Working with web development seems really fun, and I want to start right now, until I am reminded of the fact that a normal job is not like university. In a normal job I will have to wake up at 6 every morning just to catch a bus at 7 and then start working at 8, probably going home from work at 17 and not being home until 18 and then I have to cook food for 2 hours. So basically I will have about 3 hours of real free time a day except for the weekends...

And down the rabbit hole I spiral again.. Bye bye!

1 comment:

  1. At least you probably already know what you're gonna do by pursuing more on web dev:)
    Javascript is a must and definitely go for Watch and Code;)

    ReplyDelete