Jun 21, 2019

Keeping in touch with friends on the other side of the planet

I am finally on summer vacation again, though I am trying to finish up my extra math courses now so that's taking up quite a lot of my time. It's not going super well, but it's fine, I guess.

During summer I usually go home to my "home town" which is nice, but it's pretty far from Gothenburg and thus I can't really meet anyone who lives in Gothenburg during the summer, well, I would if I had money but now I have to save all my money for the trip!

I will be going down to Gothenburg at the end of August for a few days though, which is nice.

It's kind of hard for me to keep up with people online, people I don't see every day or every week or month. It's easy to forget them, even though I don't want to, there is just so much else going on.

In Japan I met a lot of nice people, and I am keeping in touch with just a few of them today on a regular basis. Me and 2 friends in Japan even started a cross-continental book club, it's gone quite well so far, way better than the book club we started at SEM (where we only read 1 book and then it just kind of died out). So far we've read maybe 5(?) books.

Having something set like a book club is a good way to remember to keep in touch I suppose. Just setting specific times a week for a chat is a good way of doing it.
When there is no set structure to your chats or talks, I guess that's when things eventually die out.

But even if that happens it's always possible to start up a conversation again, even if years have gone by, I know that. You just have to work on it, and the other person has to work on it too. Some people are easier to keep up a friendship with than others, but anything is possible.

I am just rambling, really, but I just wanted to remind myself of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment