Aug 25, 2017

"First day" of university in Gothenburg, Sweden

Today was the introduction day for everyone at my program. We got to register ourselves to the program, which is something you have to do in order to keep your spot. That was a lot easier than I thought, it was literally just stating your name and showing some form of ID and then they checked your name on a list.

I think in total we were about 60-70 people there, from many different countries. And for this program they usually allow 80 people in to begin with, knowing that a lot of people are going to drop off.

We actually got a reminder from our future math teacher that there were around 600 people who applied for this program and around 200 of them placed it as their first choice. Which means there are now around 150 people waiting as "reserves", to enter this program in case someone decides to drop out. So if you start the program and soon start thinking that it wasn't really that interesting, you should quit as soon as possible and let someone else take your place, since there are people waiting to do it.

That same teacher, who seems to be a very good lecturer, also talked about how difficult the program is going to be. More so than previous years, since it's been revised. And said that we probably wont be prepared for it, and that it would probably be a living hell at least for a while.

It's a known fact (at least in Sweden) that people drop out of university programs all the time, because they thought it wasn't for them or because they just couldn't handle the pressure. So many popular universities take in more student than there are places really, since many of them drop out.
I expect that before the end of this year our "class" will be a lot smaller than it is now.

I am just hoping that I am not one of the people who drop out because they couldn't handle the pressure. This is something I am worrying about already and our courses haven't even started yet!

Anyway, I shouldn't dwell on that too much, I know. It's difficult not to though, since I want to succeed so bad but lack confidence in my ability to do so.

Change of topic (before I get too depressed).
That teacher ALSO said that if you aren't a native English speaker you shouldn't think that you are good at English. Probably because the textbooks might include a lot of difficult words. Even so I can't shake the feel that my English abilities are up to the task, and that I will be fine.
There were on the other hand some other students, I just overheard them speaking to someone and it seemed like they didn't even understand the questions asked them. How will people like that make this program with such poor English skills?
This is, after all, an international program where everything is in English.

If I do well and pass all exams and get to stay in this program, I guess I will see how well (or not) these people do. I wish everyone the best of luck, especially myself since I might need it the most! (Insert sad laughter).
---
To do list for university for myself:
Go to all lectures
Do all assignments
Ask lots of questions if you need help (to teachers as well as other students)
Make a study schedule and study during set periods of time (ex 8 - 16 daily)
Stick to the study schedule!
Pass ALL exams on the FIRST try, you don't want to ruin your life with re-exams!
Be THE BEST! Don't just pass (which means study your ass off and don't be a lazy s--t)!

Look back on this list and see how well you followed it. Failure is not accepted!

"Your own worst enemy is yourself."

1 comment:

  1. 頑張れ!!いつまでも応援しましよ!!話を書いて頂いて有り難う:)

    ReplyDelete