Jun 18, 2016

Egg pizza in Japan

I think it was yesterday that I walked through Tenjinbashisuji shoutengai shopping street on my way home from school and saw a pizza (you know a fake one that looks totally real) on a pedestal outside a random restaurant. From afar I watched it, suddenly craving pizza, but as I got closer I saw that it had a boiled egg on top, and the yellow goo from the inside was pouring out onto the pizza. Appalled I had to look away and I no longer felt like eating pizza. And just as a side note: they love to put eggs on their hamburgers here, I have never seen that in Sweden and I do not feel like eating that either.

This is not the first time I have experienced Japans strange pizza, I have heard J-vloggers on youtube talk about how Japan can not do pizza but apart from this egg instance I have to disagree. I like the pizza here!

So a lot of people have complained about corn on pizzas here, and yes, there is corn on pretty much every pizza ever here but I don't mind that. It tastes good.

There is also pizza with potatoes on them, which I had never seen before, but turns out it wasn't bad.

Once I got invited to an Italian restaurant and got to eat lots of great pizza - but not Italian pizza, because among these pizzas were pizzas with tarako sauce (fish egg sauce) and mayonnaise...

Asparagus, zucchini, eggplant etc are also something I have never seen on a pizza and therefore I don't know if either is a normal topping in other countries, but it is pretty normal in Japan and it tastes nice!

In Sweden there are a lot of pizza places but not any pizza chains like what they have in Japan (PizzaLa, Domino's, etc) which sucks for me because I especially love Domino's pizza. In Sweden I hate pizza, it is just not good at all (I'm probably alone on this tho), it has a very home made feel which I don't like in this case (do I sound like a crazy person already?). So in Sweden I would rather eat frozen pizza that's been shipped in from who knows where. In Japan I don't have to buy frozen pizza because the ones from pizza chains like domino's deliver a pizza that must have come from a machine rather than a flawed human being.

Okey, I realize I am pretty bad at explaining the appeal of pizzas here but just trust me, they are good!

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't need to be good at explaining The most important is you like it and it`ll be something you'll long for later in Sweden, a tiny bit of Japan's taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't need to be good at explaining The most important is you like it and it`ll be something you'll long for later in Sweden, a tiny bit of Japan's taste.

    ReplyDelete