Jun 27, 2016

Talking cars and Teletubbie-land in Japan

There is a car that drives around my neighborhood every time I have a day off and sleep in in the morning, and it wakes me up. Not because of the sound of the engine but because the car is equipped with speakers and over and over it is playing the same message: We want to pick up your stuff, even if it's broken!
(Well it's a bit longer than that and by now I think I can almost fully recite it in Japanese).
It is not just this car, the truck that picks up everyones trash always plays a little song, kinda like the ice cream truck, but smellier.

There is another truck, that plays a song sung by children, and I simply cannot make out what they are singing about but when I once spotted the truck it looked like a small gas truck, which only makes it weirder..

In Sweden we do not have any talking cars, and no cars playing music or singing, or big trucks driving by blastering K-pop to promote a new band. But in Japan this is commonplace,
Doesn't matter wether I am at home or at school, there is always a truck around singing in an old mans voice that it's selling grilled sweet potato, or warabimochi icecream.

There are also lots of cars roaming around promoting local politicians, these also usually come around in the mornings and wake me up, as if annoying me would make me want to vote for that person!

In Sweden I cannot see something like this happening (just like the Japanese way of standing outside their shop screaming about discounts would never happen either), these cars are annoying and would not be tolerated.

When I thought about these weird cars my mind also went to another thing - the public announcements (or w.e I should call them) that happen in various places in Japan.
On Zamami, Okinawa, where we went on vacation there was a message every day at five that you could here from speakers from anywhere on the island, telling kids it was time to go home for the evening.
My mum said that it reminded her of the Teletubbies, I guess because there are things in teletubbieland that tell the teletubbies what to do too. But I'm not sure since I don't remember much of the show.

It's not just Zamami, but other places too that have speakers set up to remind kids of things, or remind you of some law that you shouldn't be breaking, etc etc. It's not as common as the cars, but it still happens a lot and just reminds me of how different some things here are compared to Sweden.
How some things can be so very common here, but could never take place there, because it would be seen as rude and intrusive. I'm glad this doesn't exist in Sweden, but I can't say that it's not pretty entertaining from time to time!

And if not that, then maybe it might atleast be a good alarm clock to some people!


Pic from google of a ishiyaki-imo truck

2 comments:

  1. 石焼きいもは美味しい!ジチャンのエプロンをよく見たら、。。。あんたが大好きなネコちゃん!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 石焼きいもは美味しい!ジチャンのエプロンをよく見たら、。。。あんたが大好きなネコちゃん!

    ReplyDelete