May 12, 2014

"Homestay" family? Why, yes!

Hello!

Here at Osaka Japanese Language Education Center they have a "homestay program" for the students that are here on a scholarship (why only for those on a scholarship, I do not know), that I signed up for.
You fill in a document with what you like/dislike/hobbies and what kind of family you want to have. The school then sends the documents to all the different families and they choose if they want you or not. This year everyone who applied for the program got picked by a family.

This Saturday we gathered in a big room at school, to finally meet our "host family". First we got a document with a little information about the family we got, and then all the families started rolling in.
Us, the students, got to give a short speech about ourselves and then meet our respective families.

The family I got consists of 2 people, both 71 years old (oldest of all families I think) and have been a part of this program for years, it seems. I only got to meet one of them this time because the other still works! We chatted for a while and then got going to the subway because they had been instucted to make sure we knew how to get to and back from where our host family lives.

Sooo.. we took the subway/train to Momoyamadai just so that I would know how it looked like there. Then back to Umeda where we ate dinner, went to a manga book store, ate at a cafe, etc.

It all would've been a tad expensive for me if it wasn't for the fact that I didn't have to pay for anything! >.< Such nice people there are out there, eh? :)

I had a really good time and I'm looking forward to meeting with my host family again.

(Info about the program: You get a host family but you do not live with them; you simply just meet with them as much or as little as you and them want to. It is to help you learn Japanese and also to get insight into Japanese way of life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment