May 13, 2015

Studying manga in Japan - my lessons/classes

Hello! It's been a while now since I started school and even though I'm not used to things quite yet and haven't memorised the schedual etc yet, I thought I could tell you what kind of classes I have going through the week.

One class is 3 hours.

I have one class where we get to use the special pen you use a lot when you draw manga (you know, the one people used to use back in the old days). So far we have only been drawing different lines and stuff (because manga has a lot of lines, so called shuuchuusen etc.) and I am not really enjoying it.. I mean, it's difficult!

We also have a class in "basic drawing"(?) where we get to draw faces in different angles, and we will soon move on to hands, legs and full bodies etc. It's a fun class and I am really looking forward to what we are going to learn next because there are a lot of things I suck at.

Another class is "manga research" where the teacher goes through the history of manga etc. Sometimes it's interesting but sometimes not so much.

Probably my favourite class of all is where we get to use the computer to draw and color characters. That's the only class I would like to extend from 3 hours to double or more xD.

There is also a class called "illustration" but so far it's just coloring with watercolors, which is pretty fun but I think there will be a lot more than that to this class so I am looking forward to what's next.

Apart from that we have a class called "dessan" which google translate just translated as "drawing" >.<! But I think this is the class where you get something too look at, like a bowl of fruit, and you are supposed to draw it. We haven't gotten that far yet, though. Until now we've been drawing cubes and stuff..

Yet another class we have is "croquis" where we are supposed to look at something real, like a person, and draw it. Right now we are mostly drawing our own heads though.

Lastly, we have our "manga class" which has so far been 3 hours where we are supposed to draw our own manga (right now we have to do one of 16 pages). It is difficult for me because they haven't told us anything about how to go about it for an actual complete page with all the stages leading up to it. I hope it will come soon.

So there you have it, what I am learning studying manga. I know that since I am still a newbie at this school I can't tell you much but I hope this is good for now! 


1 comment:

  1. It's great to know what are you doing in class, and hope that your computer aided drawing session will be extended as much as you wish:xd

    And it will be great if you add pictures of the tools-like that old fashioned pen for drawing etc-and maybe if you're generous enough to share your work it will be even more awesome! Looking forward to the next post:)

    ReplyDelete